Thank God I’m alive

The Claxton Bay woman who was savagely beaten on the head with a gun by her ex-lover yesterday thanked God for her life.

Speaking from her hospital bed, Kemba Olufemi, 52, declared, “I am alive. Thank God for life.”

But Olufemi, a taxi driver, admitted that she had been told of the rumours on social media that she had passed away following the brutal attack on Monday.


Olufemi’s head was still heavily bandaged when the T&T Guardian visited her at the San Fernando General Hospital yesterday, but was alert and speaking well. However, she declined to speak more about her near-death ordeal or take a photo.

She was surrounded by family and friends who held hands around her bed, praying and singing religious songs for her to be healed.

Olufemi underwent surgery after she was brutally struck about 100 times with the butt of the gun which ex-lover Lloyd Logan, 62, had initially tried to shoot her with. When the gun jammed, however, Logan used its butt to violently hit her, before eventually taking his own life with poison.

Olufemi told police she went to Tropical Plaza, Pointe-a-Pierre, to meet Logan although she had broken off their relationship two weeks ago. She said he walked up to her while she was seated in her car, pulled out a gun, aimed it at her and pulled the trigger. She told police she heard three clicks but the gun did not discharge. She told officers she remembered being beaten and crying out for help, but after that she only remembered waking up at the hospital. Olufemi, a mother of two, suffered serious head injuries, including several lacerations and a fractured skull.

After the video of the incident went viral on Facebook, several people expressed their disgust that no one, including the security, tried to help Olufemi during her attack, although some of them could be seen nearby, while drivers of vehicles also slowed down to view the attack before driving off. (See other story)

However, speaking to T&T Guardian at the hospital’s mortuary yesterday, Logan’s relatives said the man they saw carrying out the brutal act in the video was not the Lloyd Logan they knew and loved. They said he was neither a monster nor was he violent.

Expressing shock and sadness over the incident, the relatives apologised to Olufemi and her family.

“We are deeply sorry that this incident took place. We had no idea. I don’t know what drove him to do that. The Devil is busy, just waiting until you are weak. That is why we have to kneel down in prayer,” said Logan’s nephew Benjamin Franklyn.

Unaware that he was having relationship problems, the family said Logan, a retired steel bender, was “normal” on Sunday.

Logan, who has grandchildren, lived alone at Perseverance Village, Couva, having separated from his wife several years ago.

“We found out on social media. This is a shock to all of us. There was no sign,” said Franklyn.

Logan’s only child, Leroy Baptiste, 40, added, “It was surprising. No words could express, we are speechless. I always know him as a jolly, sprightly person. He was always happy and was enjoying his life. That is the person I know. I don’t know what caused that transformation.”

The family did not know he owned a gun. Police recovered the .38 revolver loaded with three rounds of ammunition at the scene.

Source: Guardian