Race against time

HOMICIDE detectives were last night consulting with Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard, SC, to determine if sufficient information had been gathered during their investigation to charge two people with the murder of Woman Police Constable (WPC) Nyasha Joseph.

The Sunday Express was reliably informed yesterday evening that the officers had been in discussions with Gaspard for most of the day as they sought to tie up loose ends in the investigation into the death of their colleague.

During the course of their consultation, the officers were reportedly advised by the DPP to obtain further information which would result in a more air-tight case against the two suspects— a 36-year-old man from Sea Lots, Port of Spain and a woman, also 36, from Carenage.


The officers were said to be working last night to close the investigation, since the time granted to them by a High Court judge on Thursday to keep the male suspect in custody will soon expire.

On Thursday, Justice Nadia Kangaloo, presiding at the Hall of Justice in Port of Spain, during the hearing of a habeas corpus writ, granted the officers until tomorrow to charge the man or release him.

He was taken into custody two Fridays ago, hours after Joseph was reported missing. Up to last night he was being held at the Homicide Bureau of Investigations at Riverside Plaza, and was said to be complaining of being ill-treated by officers.

Investigators said they were hopeful that charges would be laid sometime today and that if this takes place, the accused will appear before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar in the Port of Spain Court tomorrow.

In addition to the two suspects, police also have also questioned a 24-year-old Sea Lots boat owner who surrendered on Wednesday night.

He too remained in custody last night.

Joseph, a mother of one, was last attached to the Morvant Police Station. She joined the Police Service in November last year and was last seen alive two Thursdays ago after leaving her Marie Road, Morvant home.

After she was reported missing, extensive searches were mounted in the Sea Lots and Caroni areas after information received indicated that she was killed and her body dumped.

Around midday on Wednesday, a fisherman found Joseph’s body in the Gulf of Paria near the mouth of the Caroni river, after it became tangled in his net.

An autopsy performed the following day by pathologist Eastlyn McDonald-Burris came back inconclusive. —RR

Source: Trinidad Express http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170318/news/race-against-time