A MULTI-MILLION dollar contractor appeared before the court on Monday on fraud charges that involved over half a million dollars from the Arima Borough Corporation.
Ian Jahore, 64 of La Romaine faced four charges of uttering to forged valuable security namely two letters from the Arima Borough Corporation and two cheques.
It was also alleged that he attempted to cause payment of $294,860.50 and $280,745.77 to drawn on the account of the Arima Borough Corporation.
Jahore allegedly owed money to another contractor and endorsed cheques to be paid to that contractor from the Arima Borough Corporation’s account.
The charges were laid by constable Navin Latchman of the Fraud Squad for the offences which allegedly occurred between June 30 and August 14.
Defence attorney Herbert Charles said his client had a multi-million dollar contract in Tobago. He said Jahore had no pending or previous matters before the court and was not a flight risk.
Charles said his client had been in custody since Thursday.
Police prosecutor Sgt Denzil Alexander made no objection to bail but requested that conditions be attached.
San Fernando magistrate Alicia Chankar placed him on $500,000 bail. He was ordered to immediately surrender his Trinidad and Tobago and any other passport he may possess and also to report to the Fraud Squad in San Fernando once a week.
Jahore will return to court on September 25.
Source: Trinidad Express http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170828/news/millionaire-contractor-in-court-for-fraud