Cops helped, then killed this ex-soldier

Raymond Joseph, the man shot dead by municipal police officers inside the Point Fortin Area Hospital on Sunday, operated a gym and was well-respected in the community.

Joseph, 51, was shot three times and died in the hospital’s resuscitation room, where he had been taken for treatment by the officers who killed him.

A police report stated that he began acting violently and attempted to grab an officer’s service revolver when the officers responded by firing three shots.


Joseph’s relatives admitted that he was being treated for a mental illness, but accused the officers of using excessive force.

A relative, who asked not to be named, questioned why Joseph was shot three times.

The Express contacted Joseph’s common law wife but she refused to speak about the incident.

Joseph, an ex-soldier, lived at Mahaica Road, Point Fortin. 

Police said Joseph began acting violently at his home and was being taken to the Point Fortin Area Hospital for treatment when relatives sought the assistance from officers attached to the Point Fortin Borough Corporation.

Three officers accompanied Joseph to the hospital where he was taken into the resuscitation room for treatment.

Police said Joseph began attacked nurses and the officers.

The report stated that Joseph attempted to grab one of the officer’s gun.

The officers fired three shots, hitting Joseph. He collapsed and died at the scene.

The Express was told that the sound of gunshots at the hospital caused panic among medical staff and patients at the health facility.

Joseph’s body was removed to the Forensic Science Centre in St James.

Source: Trinidad Express


  1. This story stinks of injustice! Have heard that dear Ray was handcuffed when he was shot SIX times! I dearly hope the relevant authorities will be investigating this case thoroughly, not sweep it under the carpet. Ray’s kindness and generosity made him a very special person who is so missed by all who loved and knew him.